The entire START team is committed to quality service provision for victims of sexual crime under the following guiding principles:
- We believe that people have the right to be safe.
- We believe that victims have the ability to heal from sexual abuse.
- We believe that the abuser is always responsible for the abuse.
- We recognize that non-abused family members can also suffer as a result of sexual abuse and often benefit from support.
- We believe that the clinician’s task is to facilitate the healing process by showing clients unconditional positive regard, respect and empathy.
- We believe that well developed professional skills are important.
The Clinician's role at START is to provide information, counselling and support to both individuals and families. They are able to give consultation sessions with people who find that they have concerns about their children, taking on an information and referral role. This role also involves providing training in START Workshops.